Spicy Hot Chocolate
Butternut squash gives this hot drink its creamy texture.
- 1/2 pound butternut squash (about 2 cups cubed)
- Cooking spray
- 7 cups nonfat milk
- 8.7 ounces Mexican or semisweet dark chocolate
- 30 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel squash and cut it into 1-inch cubes. Arrange squash on a baking sheet in a single layer and spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- In a blender, puree squash with three cups of milk until smooth. Stir remaining ingredients in a large saucepan over low heat, until chocolate is melted.
- Add pureed squash mixture to pan and continue stirring until it's heated (do not boil). Strain mixture through a coarse sieve and serve.
Per serving: 413 kcal cal., 23 g fat (13 g sat. fat), 59 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 45 g sugar, 7 g pro., 176 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet