'I always hated having to deal with pre-cooking lasagna noodles and then trying to carefully pull them out of the pot without the pasta breaking and falling apart. Luckily, my mom came to the rescue! She taught me how to skip this cumbersome step - and her delicious (and healthy) Spinach Lasagna recipe is a family favorite. I think of my mom every time I lay the uncooked noodles down and pour water along the edges of my layered masterpiece.' - Joy Bauer, R.D.N., health expert for NBC's Today Show, New York Times best-selling author, and founder of Nourish Snacks
- 2 10 ounce boxes frozen, chopped spinach
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2-3 minced garlic cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 24 ounce can tomato sauce
- 9 whole grain lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 13 x 9 baking dish with oil spray.
- Cook and drain the spinach well, then set aside. In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, egg white, pepper, garlic, basil, and oregano. Add the spinach and mix again thoroughly.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with tomato sauce (about 1/4 of the jar) and place down 3 of the uncooked lasagna noodles. Top with half of the spinach-ricotta mixture and then a layer of 3 more noodles. Top with the remaining spinach-ricotta mixture and then the last 3 lasagna noodles. Pour the remaining tomato sauce on top.
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese. Pour the water around the edge of the pan (this will cook the noodles), and cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Let stand to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing to allow the lasagna to set up and the extra water to be absorbed.
- Recipe courtesy of Joy Bauer
Per serving: 215 kcal cal., 7 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 385 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 13 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet