Nix your normal sandwich in favor of this nutritious vegetarian lunch.
- Nonstick olive-oil cooking spray
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat hoagie rolls, split; or 8 slices whole-wheat bread; or 2 whole-wheat pita bread rounds, halved crosswise and split
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced in 8
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Lightly coat an unheated panini griddle, covered indoor electric grill, or large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Place hoagie-roll bottoms or 4 of the bread slices or 4 pita pieces on a work surface; divide half of the spinach leaves among these roll bottoms, bread slices, or pita pieces.
- Top spinach with tomato, and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and pepper. Add red onion slices and basil, then add feta and remaining spinach.
- Top with hoagie-roll tops, remaining bread slices, or pita pieces. Press down firmly.
- Preheat griddle, grill, or skillet over medium heat, or heat according to manufacturer's directions. Add sandwiches, in batches if necessary. If using griddle or grill, close lid and grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until bread is toasted. (If using skillet, place a heavy plate on top of sandwiches. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bottoms are toasted. Carefully remove plate, which may be hot. Turn sandwiches and top with the plate. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until bread is toasted.)
Per serving: 206 kcal cal., 6 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 572 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 11 g pro., 190 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet