Steel Cut Oats with Baby Spinach and Egg
Can't decide between oatmeal and eggs for breakfast? Try this savory combination of both! The whole grain oats compliment the protein-filled eggs, which will help keep you satisfied all morning. The spinach adds a nice dose of vitamins A and K.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon butter or coconut oil for sauteing
- 1/2 cup cooked steel cut oats
- 1 - 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Cook oats according to package directions.
- When the oats are nearly finished cooking, heat a small frying pan to medium and add butter or coconut oil to the pan. Add spinach and saute, until just wilted, and remove from pan to a plate.
- In the same pan, fry the egg to your liking. Keep it runny, as this is delicious with the greens and oats.
- To serve, spread a 1/2 cup of oats on the plate and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, next add the spinach and top with the runny egg. Add salt, pepper and additional parmesan, to taste.
- Recipe provided by Angie Dye, R.D.N at Carpe Diem Nutrition
Per serving: 349 kcal cal., 15.6 g fat (8 g sat. fat), 290 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 20 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet