Stuffed Eggplant with Pomegranate Seeds
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 head garlic, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, finely diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup red pepper, seeded cored and diced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Cut the top off of the eggplants and slice in half crosswise. Using a spoon, core out the center and reserve. Lightly toss the eggplant half shells in olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast at 375 degrees until slightly tender and golden brown in color.
- While eggplants are roasting add olive oil, shallots, and garlic to a hot pan and saute until translucent. Add in the scraps from the center of the eggplant and continue to cook on medium high heat until tender. Pulse the garlic, shallot, and eggplant filling in a food processor very briefly until slightly chunky. Add in the chopped cilantro, lemon juice, salt, pepper and mix.
- Prep the yogurt sauce: Mix yogurt, cumin, and red pepper together in a bowl until smooth.
- When eggplant half shells are finished roasting fill the holes with the filling, add yogurt sauce, and garnish with cilantro and pomegranate seeds.
- Recipe provided by Ellary's Greens in New York City.
- Photo credit: Ellary's Greens