Sugar-Free Cinnamon Applesauce Waffles
Greek yogurt makes for light, fluffy waffles, here flavored with applesauce and cinnamon instead of any added sugars. Freeze a batch to keep handy for a quick breakfast to toast when you're in a hurry.
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together milk and yogurt. Stir in egg yolks, applesauce, and oil. Whisk to combine well.
- In a third bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Pour milk mixture into dry mixture. Stir gently to combine (some dry bits are okay). Fold in egg whites until evenly dispersed. Cook in a waffle maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Recipe provided by Jessica Fisher of Goodcheapeats.com
- Nutrition information based on 2 waffles per serving.
Per serving: 417 kcal cal., 24 g fat (4.5 g sat. fat), 41 g carb., 2 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 12 g pro., 254 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet