Super-Veggie Salad with Plums, Toasted Walnuts, and Goat Cheese
The combination of colors and flavors in this nutrient-dense salad is sure to please an array of palates.
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 bunch watercress, rinsed, spun dry, and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel or celery
- 2 ripe plums, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green grape halves
- 6 dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces crumbled aged goat cheese
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 3 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place bulgur in a medium bowl. Bring 1 cup water to a boil and pour over bulgur.
- Stir, cover bowl with a large plate, and let rest for 30 minutes to absorb liquid. Meanwhile, place walnuts in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook about 3 minutes, shaking pan often, or until nuts are lightly browned. Remove from heat and set nuts aside to cool.
- Once the liquid is absorbed, fluff bulgur with a fork. Add chopped watercress to the grains and gently toss to mix.
- Lay out four large plates (or use bowls if you prefer). On each one, place equal portions of the bulgur mixture, cabbage, carrots, fennel, plum slices, grape halves, figs, and goat cheese
- To make the dressing, whisk together maple syrup, vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon an equal portion of dressing over each salad and garnish with toasted walnuts.
- Nutritional information includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 401 kcal cal., 10 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 362 mg sodium, 11 g fiber, 34 g sugar, 12 g pro., 149 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet