Sweet and Smoky Roasted Pumpkin Soup
This fall favorite has never tasted so good as it does whipped into this roasted, creamy, cold-weather soup.
- 6 cups cubed pumpkin
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 6 toasted pecans, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pumpkin, onion, and garlic in a large metal bowl. In a small bowl, mix butter, olive oil, and maple syrup. Pour mixture over pumpkin cubes and mix well. Place pumpkin flat on a baking pan, using a plastic spatula to ensure all liquid transfers from the bowl to the pan. Tear bay leaves into 4 pieces each and place between pumpkin cubes. Roast for 30 minutes until pumpkin cubes are softened.
- Pour cold chicken broth into a blender and add cooked pumpkin, again using a plastic spatula to ensure all liquid is transferred. Blend to desired consistency.
- Transfer soup to a pot on the stove and heat to a simmer over low heat. Stir in chili pepper, and pepper and salt to taste. When thickened to desired texture, serve topped with pecans, if desired.
- Recipe provided by Season with Spice
Per serving: 303 kcal cal., 19 g fat (7 g sat. fat), 33 g carb., 3 g fiber, 7 g pro., 118 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet