Sweet and Spicy Cajun Slaw
Bring a little Louisiana flare to your summer table with this spicy slaw. The added spice comes from cayenne pepper and Cajun seasoning, which is nicely balanced with a touch of sugar. And, of course, you can't have a Southern-style dish without adding pecans!
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 green cabbage, shredded
- 2 yellow bell peppers, sliced thin
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and bell peppers.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, sugar, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Pour over cabbage mixture and toss.
- Serve and sprinkle with pecans.
- Recipe provided by Shelly Marie Redmond, R.D., of Skinny Louisiana.
Per serving: 150 kcal cal., 11 g fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 410 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 2 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet