Szechuan Shrimp & Ruby Grapefruit Salad
This sweet and spicy dish is super easy to make, but big on flavor.
- 1 pound medium shrimp with tails on, peeled
- 6 ounces dried vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 large ruby grapefruit, peeled
- 1 cup torn mint leaves
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Szechuan peppercorns
- Bring a saucepan filled with water to a boil over high heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until they are opaque and cooked through. Drain and place in a large ceramic bowl.
- Place the noodles in a heatproof bowl and pour in boiling water to cover. Let stand for 10 minutes, until soft, then drain and rinse under cool running water. Add to the shrimp.
- Cut the grapefruit into segments and add them and any juices to the bowl with the shrimp and noodles. Add the mint leaves.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the honey, grapefruit juice, sesame oil, fish sauce, and ground peppercorns. Pour over the salad, toss gently to coat evenly, and serve at once.
- Adapted with permission from Citrus: Sweet and Savory Sun-Kissed Recipes by Valerie Aikman-Smith and Victoria Pearson (Ten Speed Press, 2015)
- Photo credit: Victoria Pearson