Tampa's Festive Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Crema
Florida avocados are larger in size than others grown in the U.S., and have smooth skin. They're also slightly lower in their healthy fat content over California avocados, with 3 grams fat verses 4.6 grams fat, respectively. Enjoy a healthy fiesta with Florida avocados in this Mexican-inspired dish.
- Cooking spray or 1 teaspoon oil
- 3/4 pound fresh shrimp
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 12 ounce bag broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon adobo sauce (from canned chipotles in adobo)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt, to taste
- 8 high fiber whole grain tortillas
- 2 ounces reduced fat white cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces Florida avocado, chopped
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Spray a non-stick pan with oil and heat to medium. Add shrimp and cook until heated through (when it appears pale pink). Squeeze lime juice over shrimp and season with salt, to taste. Set shrimp aside.
- Return pan to stove and add onion and slaw. Heat until softened. Remove from heat and stir in salsa.
- To prepare sauce, combine yogurt, adobo, and paprika. Season with salt to taste.
- Warm tortillas in microwave or oven (you can broil on low for a few minutes).
- Time to assemble! Evenly divide slaw and shrimp among tortillas. Top with cheese, avocado, and cilantro. Drizzle crema over tortillas. Dig in!
- Recipe by Jamila Lepore, M.S, R.D.N founder of No Nonsense Nutritionist.
Per serving: 300 kcal cal., 9 g fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 27 g carb., 10 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 35 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet