Tarragon-Lemon Chicken with Mushrooms
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, cremini, portobello, and button mushrooms
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Place chicken between two sheets of parchment or wax paper, and use a meat mallet or a heavy pan to pound the chicken to a 1/2-inch thickness. Season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 teaspoons oil. Add chicken, cook for 1 to 2 minutes, flip, and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Flip chicken again, and reduce heat to low; cover, and cook for 10 minutes. (Do not lift the lid.) Remove covered skillet from heat, and let chicken rest for 8 minutes more before serving.
- While chicken cooks, slice mush-rooms and halve lemon. Juice one lemon half, and cut the other half into thin rounds. In a small bowl, whisk together mustard and stock. In a 9-inch skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add garlic and a few pinches of salt, and stir. Reduce heat to medium low, and let mushrooms cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Add mustard-stock mixture, and raise heat to high. Bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plates and pour pan juices into the boiling mushroom mixture. Continue to cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes more. Stir in 1 tablespoon tarragon, cream, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Spoon over chicken, and garnish with lemon slices and tarragon.
- Instead of mushrooms, toss in onions, green chiles, and black beans. Replace the lemon with a lime and the tarragon with cilantro. Eliminate the mustard, stock, and cream.
- Skip the mush-room sauce. Slice the cooked chicken breast, and place it on shredded red cabbage and Swiss chard with thinly sliced apples and scallions. Serve with a maple syrup dressing (2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons maple syrup, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, and black pepper to taste).
- Eliminate the mushroom sauce. Once the chicken breasts are cooked, chop them up and add to a pot of vegetable or chicken broth along with chopped bok choy, sprouts, and sliced mushrooms.