The Delicious Avocado Chicken Salad You Need to Try
Remember when adding grapes to chicken salad was the greatest thing to ever happen to, well, chicken salad? It was exciting. It was delicious. It was 100 years ago. It's time to really update this classic, and it all begins with avocado. What to drink it with: If you're having a leisurely lunch at home, then pair the salad with a full-bodied white wine like this California Chardonnay.
- Meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 avocados, 1 halved and 1 chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken, scallions and celery to combine. Gently stir in the chopped avocado and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.
- In a blender, combine the remaining avocado and lemon juice. Add the olive oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, parsley and dill. Puree until smooth. The mixture should be thick and about the consistency of mayonnaise. (If needed, thin the mixture with 1 to 2 tablespoons water.)
- Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. (We like it on toasted bread or sturdy whole-grain crackers.) The salad will keep, refrigerated, for up to 2 days.
- This recipe originally appeared on PureWow.