The Hot Date Congee
Add a swirl of coconut milk at the end to make this dish even more luxurious and rich.
- 1 cup whole hazelnuts
- 1 heaping cup short-grain brown rice, soaked for 2 hours, rinsed, and drained
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
- 6 dried dates, pitted and chopped
- 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt or creme fraiche
- In a small frying pan over medium-high, heat hazelnuts, stirring frequently, until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine rice, sugar, a pinch of salt, milk, and cinnamon. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat, stir well, then lower heat to medium-low. Add chopped dates and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick and porridge-like. Cook, uncovered, for 2 more minutes.
- Divide congee among four bowls and sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts. Top bowls with Greek yogurt and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Recipe provided by Nisha Katona, author of Pimp My Rice.