The No-Beef Burger
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 8 ounce package tempeh
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tempeh and brown for 2 minutes on each side.
- Add 1 cup of water and the soy sauce; simmer tempeh, turning occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Let cool; crumble into a large bowl.
- Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Add rice, reduce heat to low, and cook, according to package directions, until tender. Cover and let rest.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, tomato paste and garlic; saute for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer to a food processor and add rice and walnuts. Pulse until mixture turns pasty. Transfer to bowl with tempeh, stir to blend, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape into six 1/2 -inch thick patties. To cook, place patties in a well-oiled nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned and heated through.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 218 kcal cal., 11 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 598 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 10 g pro., 62 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet