Tomato Basil Soup
This warm and comforting soup is perfect for a chilly day.
- 2 pounds fresh, ripe tomatoes
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1 large carrot
- 5 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cans tomato puree
- 1 1/2 cups full fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the tomatoes in half, discarding the stems. Cube the onion and carrot.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, carrot, and garlic cloves to a large roasting pan. Toss together with olive oil and half the salt.
- Roast for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Cool the vegetables for 10 minutes before transferring to a large pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Use an immersion blender to puree until the soup is completely smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a blender, but make sure your tomatoes are cool and you work in batches to avoid a mess!
- Simmer on low for 30 minutes before serving. Top your bowl with a garnish of fresh basil.
- Recipe and image courtesy of Caroline Potter