Tomatoes Stuffed with Hawaiian Chicken Salad
Shake up your lunchtime routine with this succulent, high-protein salad.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups diced pineapple
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken breast
- 3/4 cup chopped baby spinach
- 4 cups whole leaf spinach
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (or any herb)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the top 1/2 inch from each tomato and scoop out pulp. Drain tomatoes upside down on paper towels while you make the Hawaiian chicken salad stuffing.
- Preheat the grill to high, and lightly oil the grates. Grill chicken for 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Remove from heat, cool, and dice (you should have about 3 cups).
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine cooked chicken, pineapple, and chopped spinach.
- In a small bowl, make the chicken salad dressing: Whisk together oil, mustard, vinegar, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Pour three-quarters of the dressing over the chicken salad mixture; toss gently.
- Using a large kitchen spoon, fill each tomato with approximately 1 1/3 cups of the Hawaiian chicken salad (if there is extra chicken salad, sprinkle it over the spinach salad).
- Place 1 cup of whole spinach leaves on each of four dinner plates; drizzle each portion with the remaining dressing. Place a Hawaiian chicken salad stuffed tomato on top of each spinach salad and serve.
- Dice 1 pound tofu. Continue with recipe, being careful to mix gently to keep tofu from breaking up.
- Nutritional information includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 551 kcal cal., 41 g fat (8 g sat. fat), 313 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 32 g pro., 61 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet