Triple Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts and Coconut Caramel
These super moist bars are sweetened with honey, studded with chocolate disks and layered with chocolate and gooey coconut caramel. Chocolate, an aphrodisiac food, contains theobromine and phenylethylamine, chemicals that emit the same pleasurable endorphins you get from having sex.
- 19 ounces coconut milk
- 7 1/2 ounces honey
- 3 salt
- 1 1/2 sweet potatoes, rinsed
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 4 ounces coconut oil, melted
- 11 1/2 ounces high quality, dark chocolate disks
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10 ounces walnuts, toasted in oven, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon 5 spice powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks, grated on rasp
- 2 pinches cayenne
- olive oil, for coating pan
- Combine coconut milk, honey and salt in a wide and shallow sauce pan.
- Reduce by two-thirds over medium-high heat until golden, thick and viscous.
- Transfer to a container and cool.
- Pierce sweet potato all over with a fork. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes until tender and collapsed. Let cool briefly before peeling off the skin and mashing the potato until smooth. Lower oven to 350 degrees. Peel off sweet potato skin and mash until very smooth.
- Add coconut oil, honey, vanilla and whisk. Add coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, spice, salt and chocolate disks. Mix well.
- Coat an 8.5x11 pan with olive oil. Fill with batter and bake about 25 to 30 minutes or until set and knife inserted comes out clean.
- Put coconut milk in a small sauce pot and bring to a simmer. Place chocolate in small bowl and start to melt over simmering coconut milk. Stir with a rubber spatula.
- Once coconut milk has come to a simmer, add to chocolate. Temper chocolate by adding coconut milk in two batches, mixing well after each one.
- Pour coconut milk mixture over brownies. Drizzle with coconut caramel. Let cool to room temp then cool in fridge over night.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Recipe provided by Chef Gregory Gourdet of Departure Restaurant + Lounge.