Turkey Sausage-Stuffed Pizza Pockets
This healthy version of a pizza pocket are just as fun to eat as the processed kind -- but good for you. Reheat one as a snack or two for lunch -- and make all your coworkers jealous.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces uncooked Italian poultry sausage, casings removed
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce, plus more for serving
- 4 cups lightly packed chopped fresh arugula or spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal or flour
- 1 pound whole-wheat pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high, heat the oil. Add sausage to the pan and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and crumbled, about 4 minutes. Add marinara sauce and cook, stirring, until the liquid is nearly all absorbed or evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in arugula or spinach and cook until just wilted, 1 minute more. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the cornmeal or flour onto a clean work surface and use a rolling pin and/or your hands to stretch out the dough into a large rectangle about 12 x 18 inches. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into eight equal-sized rectangles.
- Stir the mozzarella cheese into the cooled sausage mixture. Place about 1/4 cup of the filling on one side of each rectangle.
- Brush the border of each rectangle with egg, then close the dough over the topping and use a fork to crimp the edges and seal each one closed. Brush the tops with the egg and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Place the pockets on the prepared baking tray and bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce, if desired. To freeze and reheat, allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then wrap each pizza pocket in plastic wrap or foil and place in a sealable freezer bag for up to 3 months. To reheat in the microwave, unwrap, then rewrap in a paper towel, place on a microwave-safe plate, and microwave on high for 2 minutes for one pocket.
- Adapted with permission from You Have It Made, © 2016 by Ellie Krieger. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
Per serving: 480 kcal cal., 19 g fat (110 mg chol., 5.6 g sat. fat, 970 mg sodium, 4.8 g Monounsaturated fat, 9 g Polyunsaturated fat), 6.5 g fiber, 28 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet