Vanilla Matcha Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or essence
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon matcha
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter with sugar using an electric mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute or just until combined (do not overmix). Scrape down the side of bowl and add egg and vanilla. Mix briefly to incorporate egg.
- Sift flour, matcha, and salt into bowl. Mix on low speed just until combined. Overmixing at this stage would develop the glutens in the flour and the dough could become tough.
- Gently press dough into a ball and place between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Roll out dough into rectangle to fita baking sheet. Place dough, with paper, on pan and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out a little thinner if necessary. Remove top piece of parchment paper. Stamp designs with cookie stamp, if you have one, and cut out shapes. Reroll scraps and repeat until all dough has been used, returning it to refrigerator to chill if it gets too soft.
- Carefully lift cookies onto paper-lined pan and return them to refrigerator to chill for at least 20 minutes or for up to 1 hour. This will help the cookies better hold their shape when baked.
- Space cookies well apart on pan and bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until edges start to turn golden. The longer you bake cookies, the crisper they will be, but I prefer mine to stay green, so I take them out the minute I start seeing the edges discolor, which makes for a softer cookie.
- Let cool on pan on wire rack. Transfer cooled cookies to an airtight container.
- © Matcha - The Cookbook by Gretha Scholtz, published by teNeues