Vegetable and Barley Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups low-sodium canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup pearled barley
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 2 parsnips, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into bite size chunks
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium and add onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme, cinnamon, tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Bring broth to a boil and stir in barley. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add vegetables to pot and return broth to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking, covered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with whole-grain bread, if desired.
Per serving: 226 kcal cal., 6 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 555 mg sodium, 8 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 10 g pro., 105 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet