You've probably seen this dish on every menu in every restaurant in town during the summer months - and for good reason. Sweet watermelon and tangy feta cheese is the new tomato and mozzarella. In this recipe, rather than just chopping up the ingredients and tossing them with dressing, our flavorful salad begins on the grill.
- About 40 1-inch pieces cubed watermelon
- About 20 1-inch pieces cubed feta
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- Set your grill to high heat. Thread a piece of watermelon, a piece of feta, and a second piece of watermelon onto a 6-inch skewer. Repeat with the remaining pieces of watermelon and feta.
- Once the grill is hot, brush the skewers on all sides with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Grill until lightly charred on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and cool slightly.
- To serve, mound 1 cup arugula onto each plate and top with 5 skewers per plate. Drizzle each salad with 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with chopped basil. Serve immediately.
- This recipe originally appeared on PureWow.