Whole-Wheat Crostini with White Beans
Serve this zesty Italian dish as an appetizer, or pair it with a bowl of soup for lunch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 8 slices (1/2-inch thick) whole-wheat baguette, toasted
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 8 slices
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Combine olive oil and onion in a medium skillet. Saute over medium for about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add rosemary, broth, and beans. Simmer gently for another 5 minutes or until broth is reduced and thickened. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired. Fold in parsley and lemon zest.
- Top each baguette slice with 1 tomato slice and 2 tablespoons bean mixture. Garnish with pine nuts.
Per serving: 252 kcal cal., 9 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 32 g carb., 8 g fiber, 11 g pro., 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet