1. Leave behind three or four bites of your meal. Research shows that people usually polish off everything they're served, even if they're not hungry.
2. Skin your chicken after cooking it. You'll retain moisture yet still strip away 148 calories and 13 grams of fat.
4. Eat your sandwiches and burgers open-faced, with one slice of bread instead of two.
5. Order a cup of soup as an appetizer. People who fill up on soup (that's broth- or tomato-based, not cream-based) consume about 100 fewer calories during the rest of the meal, says a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
6. swap your chocolate bar (235 calories) for a glass of light chocolate soy milk (120 calories).
7. use butter-flavored nonstick spray, not a tablespoon of margarine or butter, to make grilled-cheese sandwiches and eggs.
8. Order a white-wine spritzer (80 calories) instead of a mixed drink (about 180 calories).
9. Spike foods with hot sauce or chili peppers. Both are high in capsaicin, which may help curb your appetite. A study in the British Journal of Nutrition revealed that people who had a hot sauce on their food ate 200 fewer calories in the next three hours than did those who ate their meal plain.
10. Hold the cheese, please. A single 1-ounce slice of cheddar has 113 calories. On salad and pasta, sprinkle on one tablespoon of grated part-skim mozzarella (36 calories).
11. Have the miso soup (28 calories), not the green salad (260 calories), at sushi restaurants.
12. Try one of these brunch substitutes: poached eggs instead of fried, lean Canadian bacon rather than regular bacon, or fruit salad in place of home fries.
13. Top salads with a half cup of crunchy celery instead of a quarter cup of croutons.
14. Ask you server to take away that bowl of crispy noodle strips at Chinese restaurants. Just a half cup (about a handful) has 120 calories and 7 grams of fat.
15.Ditch the maple syrup and top your pancakes and waffles with a dusting of confectioners' sugar and cinnamon or a tablespoon of low-sugar jam. Skip the butter entirely and cut even more calories.