You are here

Flying Solo: Day Six, One Difficult Day


Today was quite possibly the most difficult day of my life.

I'm trying to find words to describe the past twenty-four hours without being utterly and frightenly negative but if we're going to stay honest with each other the truth must be told.

I haven't been feeling well, and for some reason or another, I haven't had one good night's rest on this trip yet. Couple that with the fact that I'm entirely way too inexperienced to be doing this extensive of a riding trip, and you have one miserable being. Last night I don't believe I got more than 30 minutes of sleep, and the entire night all I could think of were excuses or ways that I could get out of finishing this trip. Basically, I was ready to throw in the towel.

But morning came, and I was somehow able to get out of bed. I showered, packed, and met the rest of the crew at 10 a.m. for day two of the ride. When our guide Maria arrived to pick us up, I explained to her that I wasn't feeling well, and that I was concerned about the level at which we were riding, given all of my newfound aches and pains. She was nice enough but didn't have much sympathy for me. Her feelings were more or less, "suck it up".

Today's picture is of Cisco and me. When I arrived at the stables today I was able to put it all behind me (somehow). This horse has been a wonderful companion, and for those of you who believe in the connection between human and animals you will believe me when I say Cisco helped get me through this day.

There were many wonderful things that I experienced today on our ride from Navarredonda to Navalperal de Tormes that I will share with you in tomorrow's post. For today, it was important for me to share with you that this hasn't been so easy so far and that I'm having a rough go of it.

Signing Off Thankful for Cisco,

Renee Woodruff blogs about travel, food and living life to the fullest on Follow her on Twitter or see what she's up to on Facebook!


Add a comment