If you thought last week's story about the woman who faked an entire weight-loss story was as weird as it could get, you'd be wrong. This week's news has been even stranger! Here are a few of the headlines we just can't stop reading this week:
1. The Scariest Shoes in the World. Pictured at left, these "Scary Beautiful" shoes were a collaboration by South African artist Leanie Van der Vyver and Dutch shoe designer René van den Berg and serve as a commentary on today's impossible standards of beauty.
2. Red Bull wants to drop a man from space. Skydiver Felix Baumgartner was scheduled to free fall from the stratosphere yesterday afternoon and become the first person to break the sound barrier in such a dive. The dive, which is sponsored by Red Bull, had to be postponed because of weather conditions and is tentatively scheduled to take place on Thursday, Oct. 11. Click here to keep up with the live updates.
3. Justin Timberlake has two breakfasts every morning. This isn't as unusual as it is delicious, but we're loving Bon Appétit's "My Morning Routine" column in which they ask different celebrities every week how they kick-start their days. We're big fans of JT, so we had to take a peek at his morning routine.
4. Lena Dunham wears shorts to an event, people freak out. After Lena Dunham was criticized for showing up pantsless to a New Yorker event (she was actually wearing shorts), she fought back saying, "I don’t think a girl with tiny thighs would have received such no-pants attention. I think what it really was...‘Why did you all make us look at your thighs?’ My response is, get used to it because I am going to live to be 100, and I am going to show my thighs every day till I die."
5. Munchausen by Internet is on the rise. A form of the old psychiatric disorder Munchausen syndrome, Munchausen by Internet (MBI) occurs when someone fakes an illness or injury to gain support by creating or participating in online forums and support groups. In the past five years, doctors have seen a startling number of these cases.
Photo courtesy of Lyall Coburn via Yahoo! Shine