Make a statement with stylish sneakers made for everyday wear
With the surge of oversized sweaters, boyfriend jeans, and athletic-inspired pieces that have ruled the runway, designers are telling us that being chic means being comfortable. So when it comes to fall footwear, there is no doubt that we should be kickin’ it. Beyond revamped styles from classic brands such as Adidas and Nike, more high-fashion designers, like Chanel and Prada, are boarding the sneaker train. From slip-ons to high-tops, there are limitless options to get you on board too.
Even the most fashion-savvy New Yorkers I know have been opting for rubber soles over red-bottomed pumps—whatever the outfit! Sneakers and skirts won’t have you labeled as a ‘commuter’ anymore. In fact, a fresh pair of New Balances paired with a midi skirt screams chic. Being that I always feel my best when given a little boost from heels, concealed wedges from Isabel Marant, Ash, and Nike were an obvious addition to my wardrobe. Plus they’re easy substitutes for ankle booties. I have to admit that given the current tres-chic comfort movement, styling these kicks with some of my other fall favorites, like full-length coats, slouchy tops, high-waisted skirts, and retro denim gave me limitless options to keep my look on point. And when I really want to ground myself, there are always good ole Chuck Taylors!
Here, check out some of this season's standout sneakers.
1. Slip-ons. A welcome upgrade from ballet flats, these give your outfit an effortlessly cool, sporty vibe that's still chic. Think Vans for the 21st century.
2. Classic tennis shoes. Think Adidas' Stan Smiths, or even white Pumas. And if you're having trouble finding the originals in a woman’s size, snatch up a pair of men’s two sizes smaller.
3. High-tops. Whether wedged heel, platform, or flat, these kicks are a refreshing alternative to ankle boots and give your outfit some hip-hop edge.
4. Retro running shoes. Ron Burgundy would say, you can still go "yogging" in these kicks, but you probably won't want to. With brands like Asics and Kenzo bringing back old school running styles, you'll look more fly pairing them with sleek trousers or even rolled denim.
5. Converse Chuck Taylor's. A classic, All-American style that never-goes-out-of-style.
Incorporate one of these statement-making sneakers into your fall wardrobe to give your feet some sole-saving relief from tight boots and painfully high heels. Plus, check out the Instagram feed below to see some of my favorite outfits, from dressy to casual, paired with fashion sneakers.
Come back next week for more style tips on scarves, sweater dresses, oversized coats, and more of the latest trends. Don't forget to tag your Instagram posts with @tarabryanstyle for your chance to be featured on my blog!