So many of my patients are always wondering what the best snack post-workout should be. Since most of them are not true athletes but rather the average gym-goer, one-hour spin class junkie, or yogi, I want to make sure that their snack is not too high in calories. My advice is typically the same: Look for a snack that's 200 or fewer calories and also a good source of protein to rebuild muscle and carbohydrates to replete energy and glycogen stores.
And since almost all my patients are always on the go, this snack definitely needs to portable and easy to eat on the run. Here are a few of my suggestions that you can also pick up.
1. Yoplait Greek 100. For only 100 calories, 0 grams of fat, and 12 grams protein, you really can't go wrong. Grab a piece of your favorite fruit and you have the ideal balance of protein and carbs. And another bonus? All you need is a spoon. My latest favorite flavor is mango.
2. Kind Nuts & Spices Bar. Nothing is easier on the run than a "granola" type bar. Kind Nuts & Spices are perfect after exercise since they have about 7 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein, with nothing artificial. I love their new Caramel Almond & Sea Salt bar. It is seemingly indulgent, which makes your whole workout even more gratifying.
3. Horizon Organic Chocolate Lowfat Milk. So many scientific studies have confirmed that chocolate milk is a great recovery drink. An 8-ounce box of Horizon provides 8 grams of protein and 22 grams of sugar (please keep in mind that is not all added sugar but also natural sugar from lactose). It is extremely portable with its attached straw and doesn't require refrigeration.
4. Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame. I love edamame, and roasted edamame definitely makes for an ideal snack on the go. Seapoint Farms has 100-calorie packs available that provide 11 grams of soy protein and 6 grams of fiber, which leaves you enough snack calories to add that piece of fruit you like.
5. Simply Snackin Dried Meat Snacks. I still surprise myself every time I recommend jerky to my patients. But many of today's versions are made with all natural ingredients without a ton of sodium and make for an excellent protein snack. Simply Snackin Teriyaki Dried Chicken Breast with Mangoes and Papayas is only 60 calories for a single serving and has 10 grams of protein. To get your carbs, I once again recommend pairing with a piece of fruit.