Christie Brinkley Joins Other Stars Who Get Fit for Broadway
After months of tough rehearsals and dance workouts, supermodel Christie Brinkley is set to take the Broadway stage tonight as the loveable murderess Roxie Hart in the musical Chicago. At the age of 57, Brinkley credits her age-defying look (seriously, she doesn't look a day over 35) to a vegetarian diet full of lots of color and regular workouts on the Total Gym (which she endorses), yoga sessions and outdoor activities such as surfing and stand-up paddleboarding. She also views age as nothing but a number-and embraces every stage of her life. Including this one, which is literally on the stage.
Brinkley joins a long list of other stars and models who have made the jump from Hollywood to Broadway. Read on for five other celebrities who have starred in Broadway shows, showing off their fitness night after night!
Fit Stars Who Have Taken the Broadway Stage
1. Katie Holmes. Best known as a runner, Holmes joined stars John Lithgow, Dianne Wiest, and Patrick Wilson in the play All My Sons in 2008.
2. Scarlett Johansson. After getting in ridiculous shape for Iron Man 2 with serious boot camps involving kettlebell training, core work and strength moves, ScarJo hit Broadway and won a Tony for her role in the Arthur Miller play, A View From the Bridge in 2009.
3. Claire Danes. As a fan of dancing to Caribbean music and using the gym as her time to watch TV, this star was well regarded on Broadway for her role in Pygmalion in 2007.
4. Julia Roberts. In 2006, this Pretty Woman starred in Three Days of Rain. Roberts credits her body to her trainer Kathy Kaehler, who has her perform resistance moves in the pool, including running, cross-country skiing and arm-strengthening exercises.
5. Christina Applegate. Even after enduring a foot injury, Applegate impressed crowds with her 2005 role in Sweet Charity. To stay fit, Applegate enjoys running, spinning, dancing and taking boot camp classes. She loves fitness!
Break a leg, Christie!
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.