You are here

6 Celebrity Health Tips That are Anything but Healthy

Serena Williams

1 of 6

All photos

"It's not that I've fallen out of love with tennis. I've actually never liked sports, and I never understood how I became an athlete. I don't like working out, I don't like anything physical. If it involves sitting down or shopping, I'm excellent at it."—Serena Williams, tennis star.

Exercise doesn't have to be something you hate. With options from ballroom dancing to rock climbing to get your heart pumping, everyone can find some way to move their body that doesn't involve a platinum Visa.

Elizabeth Muto

2 of 6

All photos

"I cut holes out of trash bags and wore them while I ran. It really detoxified my body, and to this day, I continue to see results."—Elizabeth Muto, Miss Nevada 2004 and Miss Black USA.

Using a trash bag or a sauna suit while exercising can help you shed pounds quickly, but it's all water weight from all the sweating you're doing. Once you rehydrate you'll be right back where you started. Additionally, the National Heart Blood and Lung Institute recommends against ever using them due to the danger over-heating.


3 of 6

All photos

"I don't eat food in restaurants—you can never be sure what's in it, can you?"—Madonna, singer and actress. (Do I really need to tell you who Madonna is?)

While it's good to be diligent about what's in your food, it doesn't need to be an all-or-nothing proposition. Madonna brings her personal chef with her to restaurants (just going out for the ambiance then?), but for the rest of us, having a black-and-white mentality about food can lead to binging later on. A better idea is to follow the 80/20 rule. By eating healthfully 80 percent of the time, you can just enjoy the other 20 percent.

Gisele Bundchen

4 of 6

All photos

On sunscreen: "I cannot put this poison on my skin... I do not use anything synthetic."—Gisele Bundchen, supermodel.

In addition to practicing good sun safety habits, most dermatologists still recommend using sunscreen to guard against skin cancer and reduce the effects of aging. While not all sunscreens are created equal—and many do contain toxic chemicals—you can find ones that are safe.

Gary Moss, a pharmaceutical scientist weighed in saying, "You might be surprised that you use a wide variety of synthetic materials in many aspects of your life: 'synthetic' does not automatically mean bad, just as 'natural' does not automatically mean safe or beneficial."

Katherine Heigl

5 of 6

All photos

On comparing herself to other stars, Katherine Heigl recently said she doesn't "have the discipline to work out 2 hours a day like Jennifer Aniston and doesn't want to eat packaged meals like Jessica Alba." She adds, "It's only now that I realize how hard those girls work for their bodies, and what level of commitment they make to do that. I'm too lazy and I like food and I like my free time too much to spend it working out!"

While we admire Heigl for being true to herself and her natural body shape, she shows the danger of comparing ourselves to other women. Eating properly and exercising are good for you in so many ways, even if they never make you look like Aniston or Alba.

Gwyneth Paltrow

6 of 6

All photos

"I've used Clean in the past with great results, losing a few pounds and kick-starting a healthier and more energetic New Year."—Gwyneth Paltrow touting her $425 cleanse system that she claims will "reset your system."

Doctors have long questioned the benefits of cleansing, saying that the human digestive system is designed to cleanse itself. But legitimate in the eyes of the medical community or not, many people swear by cleanses. For $425 though, this cleanse might clean out your wallet faster than your colon. Be sure to do your research and talk to your doctor before you try any extreme weight-loss techniques.


Add a comment