This Jump Rope Workout Will Make You Break a Sweat In Just 20 Minutes
Burn calories, boost your heart rate, and get sweaty with this high-intensity jump rope workout.
Can't muster the motivation to make it to the gym? Skip it! Literally. Skipping rope burns more than 10 calories a minute while strengthening your legs, butt, shoulders, and arms. And it doesn't take long to reap major rewards from a jump rope workout. You can burn more than 200 calories in two 10-minute sessions each day (that's 1,000 calories a week)!
Jump rope workouts are also a great way to fit in an effective cardio session when you're on the go—just toss your jump rope in your carry-on. You'll probably feel completely energized after jumping around, too. (Related: This Badass Trainer Shares Why Jumping Rope Is One of the Best Total-Body Workouts)
Try adding this jump rope workout as a cardio warm-up or as a compliment to your existing strength plan, or do it alone as a cardio workout. For best results, do the full workout three to five times a week. The plank and extension exercises will give your body time to recover between jumps while strengthening your core from all angles. (Related: How Janine Delaney Became the Jump Rope Queen Instagram Sensation at 49 Years Old)
So what are you waiting for? Following along to this time-based jump rope workout.
Double-Leg Jumps: 5 Minutes
- Hop continuously at a steady pace.
Tip: Keep shoulder blades down and back, chest lifted, and land softly throughout this jump rope workout. Swing the rope with wrists, not arms.
Plank: 45 Seconds
- Bring elbows directly under shoulders, nose directly over thumbs and feet shoulder-width apart.
- Draw belly button up and in. Keep legs engaged the entire time. Take deep breaths. (Up Next: The Ultimate 30-Day Plank Challenge for Your Strongest Core Ever)
Single-Leg Jumps: 2 Minutes
- Jump continuously on one leg for 30 seconds. (Keep leg that is lifted in front of leg that is jumping.)
- Switch to other leg for 30 seconds.
- Repeat one more time, 30 seconds each leg.
Double-Leg Jumps: 2 Minutes
- Hop continuously as fast as possible.
Tip: Make sure feet are not pounding on the ground throughout the entire jump rope workout and keep chest lifted. (Related: Affordable Home Gym Equipment to Complete Any At-Home Workout)
Opposite Arm/Leg Extensions: 45 Seconds
- Come onto hands and knees with wrists directly under shoulders and knees under hips.
- Extend left leg only up to hip height as you extend right arm up next to ear.
- Return to center and switch sides.
- Lift right leg up only to hip height as you lift left arm up next to ear.
- Return to center and continue to alternate for 45 seconds.
Repeat the entire circuit one more time for a total of two rounds.