You Won’t Believe These New Sweaty Betty Leggings Are Made From Recycled Water Bottles
Plus, 5 more eco-friendly fitness brands to shop now.
If you’ve already bought your reusable straw, water bottle, and tote bag, you’ll want to sit down for the latest green-team announcement: Sweaty Betty just officially dropped its first pair of eco-friendly leggings.
The brand’s newest compression design, the Super Sculpt Leggings (Buy It, $110, sweatybetty.com) are made from an exclusive fabric that’s created by repurposing post-consumer PET plastic bottles into a stretchy, recycled yarn.
Slightly thicker than the brand’s other textiles, the new fabric is not only perfect for chillier temps in the fall but totally squat-proof, too (no see-through leggings here!). Plus, you’ll feel like a superhero saving the environment every time you remember your one pair of leggings recycled seventeen (!!!) plastic water bottles.
Despite plenty of awesome updates, you can still expect the same Sweaty Betty basics, like sweat-wicking and quick-drying fabric that’s machine washable.The new style, currently only available in a trendy rustic camo pattern, also has side pockets and an extra-wide waistband with an adjustable drawcord. (Related: These Are My Favorite Sweat-Wicking, Butt-Sculpting Running Leggings of All Time)
Even though the leggings just hit the shelves this month, reviewers are already super pumped about the new release. One five-star reviewer summed it up: “Wow! I own a lot of leggings (oops!), but this pair are by far one of the best pairs I have ever owned! They're high-waisted and hold you in all the right places, make your legs look super toned and long, and have a side pocket—perfect for your phone or after yoga snack. They feel super soft and the color is so vibrant. The best part by far has to be the fact [that] they are made with recycled yarns!! What more could you want from a legging?!”
Of course, Sweaty Betty isn’t the only brand hopping on the green bandwagon and innovating its products to be eco-friendly. Plenty of other companies, including Outdoor Voices and Girlfriend Collective, also offer workout gear crafted from recycled plastic. Considering most workout apparel is so comfortable you can sleep, lounge, and sweat in it, these items are a great way to start moving your wardrobe towards more sustainable habits.
To help you kickstart the process, we’ve found five other eco-friendly fitness finds you can shop now:
- Outdoor Voices Hudson Shorts (Buy It, $55, outdoorvoices.com): These lightweight shorts—available in 10 different patterns and colors—are so comfy and adorable, you won’t believe they were made from plastic bottles headed for the landfill.
- Girlfriend Collective High-Rise Compressive Leggings (Buy It, $68, goop.com): Every pair of Girlfriend Collective’s original leggings upcycle 25 water bottles into your new favorite piece of fitness gear. These high-waisted leggings are not only made from recycled materials, but the leggings themselves are recyclable, too, with the brand’s ReGirlfriend program.
- Adidas by Stella McCartney Essential Running Tights (Buy It, $85, neimanmarcus.com): The mesh panels criss-crossing these mid-rise performance tights are so chic, you’re probably the only person that will know they’re made with recycled fabric.
- Athleta Velocity Stash Pocket ⅞ Tight (Buy It, $98, athleta.com): Not only are these super lightweight leggings made from recycled fabric, but they’re also made in a Fair Trade Certified factory, which pays employees a sustainable wage, prohibits super harmful chemicals, and gives back to the local community. Just stash your gym essentials in the side pockets and you’re ready to go!
- Spell & Gypsy Collective Wild Thing ⅞ Legging (Buy It, $95, freepeople.com): Stretchy and form-fitting, these high-rise blush leggings channel free Bohemian spirits while staying eco-friendly with recycled polyester.