The 7 Best Compression Leggings, According to the Shopping Experts Who Swear By Them
These are best compression leggings, according to editors and shopping experts:
- Best High Compression: Spanx Booty Boost Active Cropped Leggings
- Best Medium Compression: Lululemon Instill High-Rise Tight 25"
- Best Light Compression: Girlfriend Collective High-Rise Pocket Legging
- Best Adjustable: Sweaty Betty Power Workout Leggings
- Best with Pockets: Lululemon Invigorate High-Rise 25" Tights
- Best Support: Spanx Every.Wear Active Icon Leggings
- Best High-Waisted: Terez Pink Tie Dye Hi-Shine Leggings
A 2019 study found that compression tights had a significant positive impact on muscle recovery, especially after a high-intensity sweat session. That's because compression restricts blood flow, so "it can cut down on swelling, which stiffens the muscles and joints," Michele Olson, PhD, the senior clinical professor of sport science at Huntingdon College, previously told Shape. (Related: The Best Compression Socks for Women)
While the effects of compression gear on performance are up for debate, that doesn't mean you should skip the style in the gym. The compressive design fixes common legging complaints, like the waistband rolling or falling down during a workout. It also requires four-way stretch, typically provided by spandex, which creates a more durable style with plenty of snapback after wear.
But there is one downside to compression gear: The term is completely unregulated. This makes it difficult to understand when you're truly getting compression leggings or just another standard pair. Rather than trying all dozens of styles to understand their fit, Shape's team of shopping experts shared their top seven picks for the best compression leggings, including how long they've worn them for, what they wear them for, and how compressive they are on a scale from 1 to 5.
Below, shop tried-and-true leggings from brands like Lululemon, Spanx, and Sweaty Betty.