14 Crazy Things People Do to Add More Protein to Their Diet
If you live that high-protein lifestyle, you know the struggle.
Whether you're just trying to up your intake to the recommended amount (here's how much you actually need) or trying out a high-protein diet (like the Paleo diet), it can be tough to log all those grams in a socially acceptable way. Between breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and desserts, it feels like there are only so many ways to get those gs.
If you've been in this boat before, you know that you start to do some weird things in the name of meeting your macros. But don't worry-you're not alone. We've all done some (or all) of these weird AF things to hit the magic number. (And if all this grams talk confuses you, first read up on IIFYM, the newest diet you need to know.)
1. Drinking multiple protein shakes a day.
Okay, not that weird, but getting a majority of your protein for the day from powder-turned-meh-tasting-liquid feels a little like living on astronaut food.
2. Loading up your protein with... more protein.
Example A: Egg white omelet with fat-free cheese and ham and bacon and sausage and protein powder... okay, kidding about that last one.
3. Mixing protein powder into anything and everything.
Milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, coffee, soda, beer.... (Here are some not-gross ways to sneak it into your foods.)
4. Add more meat to everything that already contains meat.
Canned chicken noodle soup? Needs more chicken. Meat marinara? Needs more beef.
5. Meal prepping entire family-size packages of meat.
Which only ends up lasting you three days.
6. Standing in the open fridge sneaking bites of leftovers or cottage cheese straight out of the tub.
Gotta get those last 10 gs.
7. Buying a smoothie... then adding more protein powder yourself.
22g? Not enough.
8. For that matter, carrying protein powder around in a ziplock baggie.
Just in case. (Try these portable protein snacks instead.)
9. Chugging eggs.
Just keep slurping, just keep slurping.
10. Gnawing on plain, cold chicken breast.
It's not always a glamorous life, but someone's gotta live it.
11. Taking a scoop of protein powder like a shot.
Note: Not recommended. (P.S. You might be OD-ing on protein powder.)
12. Ordering two entrées at a restaurant...
And leaving all the carbs, but nomming all the protein.
13. Or doubling the price of your salad because you want two servings of added chicken on top.
What's the point of protein-less salad?
14. Using a ready-to-drink Muscle Milk as a mixer.
Protein milkshake + alcohol = what's the worst that could happen?