You Won't Believe How Healthy These Homemade Chicken Tenders Are
Order chicken tenders at a restaurant and they'll likely be about 600 calories and have 36g of fat, says Moore. That’s because most restaurants deep-fry their battered chicken and they use breadcrumbs and/or flour for the crunch. (Love faux fried recipes? Try these 20 air fryer options next.)
For this healthy chicken tenders recipe, you'll swap in cornflakes for a golden brown hue and the same crispy texture—no oil necessary. (Tip: To prepare the flakes, put them in a zip-top bag and crush with a rolling pin.) To adhere the cornflakes to these healthy chicken tenders, you'll combine an egg with mustard and honey. For more flavor, stir in 1/2 teaspoon dried basil and oregano into the cornflake mixture for an Italian twist or try a pinch of chipotle chili powder for a kick. Then pair them with these healthy dipping sauce ideas, and you have a healthy chicken tenders recipe that'll rival your favorite sports bar.
Healthy Chicken Tenders
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups cornflakes, finely crushed
- Dash of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Cut chicken into 3- by 3/4-inch strips. In a shallow dish, combine egg, honey, and mustard. In another dish, stir together cornflake crumbs and pepper.
- Dip chicken strips into the egg mixture; roll in crumb mixture to coat. Arrange chicken strips on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake about 12 minutes, or until outsides are golden and chicken is no longer pink.
Nutrition facts per serving: 212 calories, 23g protein, 23g carbohydrate, 3g fat (1g saturated), 0g fiber
Healthy Chicken Tender Dipping Sauces
Ditch the standard ranch dressing and stir up one of these healthy chicken tender dipping sauces. (Or pair these healthy chicken tenders with one of these mash-up sauces you'll want to slather on just about everything.)
- Homemade Honey Mustard = 1/4 cup Dijon mustard + 1 teaspoon honey
- Kicked-Up Ketchup = 1/4 cup ketchup + pinch chili powder
- Zesty Sour Cream = 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream + fresh lime + fresh cilantro
- Spiced Mayo = 1/2 cup low-fat mayo + 1 teaspoon dried dill + 1 teaspoon garlic powder