This juice shot is packed with energy-boosting nutrients.
When you feel low on energy, espresso is most likely your shot of choice. But did you know you can score an energy boost from juice?
This green elixir juice shot recipe from Full of Plants is filled with energy-boosting fruit and veggies that make for a small but mighty pick-me-up. (The same can be said for these five low-sugar veggie smoothies.)
The shots are filled with everything you need to beat a 4:00 slump. Maca powder contains macamides, compounds that increases circulation; coconut oil is full of medium-chain fatty acids, which your body can easily use for energy; the iron found in spinach is key to avoiding fatigue. Make these before a busy day to keep your energy up without the crash. (Next up: Energy balls that will keep you full for hours.)
Green Elixir Shots
Makes: 6 small glasses
- 1 ripe banana, cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 or 3 mint leaves (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/2-inch fresh turmeric, skin removed
- 3 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (or almond, cashew, or soy milk)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon protein powder, 1 capsule B12, 2 drops basil essential oil, 1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Taste and add a little bit of maple syrup or more banana if it's not sweet enough for you. Adjust consistency if needed, adding more banana to make it thicker, or milk/water to thin.
- Divide into regular or shot glasses, and serve immediately. It's best enjoyed immediately but can be kept covered in the refrigerator for a few hours.