Photo: Danny Kim
Freshly pressed juices, unexpected spices, and bright herbs turn the classic into a vibrant, antioxidant-packed cocktail you want to sip all spring and beyond. For even more of a twist, experiment with a range of liquors, says Kendall Atkerson, the beverage director at Taco Dumbo in the Pennsy food hall in New York City, who created the colorful combos here. To make your perfect reimagined margarita: Combine 1 1/2 ounces liquor + 2 ounces juice + 1/2 ounce Cointreau (to balance out all those flavors), shake over ice for 6 seconds, and strain into a prepped glass (dip the rim in lime juice and agave, followed by ground herbs or freeze-dried fruit). Now that you’ve got this down, go ahead and play around. (Related: The Frozen Mango Cocktail That Could Replace Your Frosé Habit)
Try out one of these combos for a festive marg (pictured from left to right).
- Tequila Reposado + strawberry and Fuji apple juice + crushed freeze-dried strawberries
- Sake + cucumber and mint juice + cilantro
- Brugal or Boukman Rum + pineapple and turmeric juice + crushed candied ginger
Build Your Own
Play mixologist in three steps.
- Start with a shot of liquor: tequila, mezcal, vodka, sake, or rum
- Add a healthy cold-pressed juice: watermelon, cucumber, mint, apple, lemon, ginger, cayenne, pineapple, turmeric, strawberry, Fuji apple, coconut water
- Garnish the rim with a hint of sweet spice: herbs, sugar, salt, crushed freeze-dried fruit