Meditation isn't the only way to reduce stress and become more mindful in your daily life. Julie Montagu, The Flexi Foodie, shares one of her favorite ways to unwind and be more present: a mindful tea-drinking ritual. Immersing yourself in a cup of flavorful tea is a pleasant and practical way to remind yourself to be conscious in the now—without having to sit still with your eyes closed for 30 minutes. It will remind you to stop worrying about the past or feeling anxious about the future. In the video below, Julie explains how she practices mindful tea drinking and shares her fave happy tea tonic recipe.
Happy Tea Tonic Recipe
Makes: 2 servings
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 ginger tea bag
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cinnamon stick or a pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 orange slice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- Optional dash of cayenne pepper
- Using either a small teapot or an extra-large mug, place the ginger tea bag or fresh ginger inside.
- Pour boiling water into the mug or teapot and let it steep for 5 minutes. Give the tea bag a good squeeze and then remove it.
- Add the cinnamon and cayenne (if using) and whisk until combined. Next, add the vinegar, orange slice, and honey. Whisk again and enjoy!
Check out the rest of Julie's new Happy Yoga Challenge on Grokker. There are thousands of fitness, yoga, meditation, and nutrition classes waiting for you on Grokker.com, the ultimate resource for all your health and wellness needs. Plus, Shape readers get an exclusive discount—only $9/month. (That's over 40 percent off! Check 'em out today!)