This Iced Vanilla Golden Milk Latte Will Have You Bypassing the Café
Ground turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon give this refreshing drink some serious nutrition power behind its sweet taste.
If you still haven't tried the golden milk health drink trend, now is officially the time. Save money on your daily coffee run by making this iced golden milk latte at home. Plus, if you're worried that the turmeric taste might be too potent for you, this recipe uses vanilla extract for a hint of sweetness.
Golden milk gets its name from the golden yellow hue of ground turmeric. (Catch yourself up on the health benefits of turmeric, really quick.) The spice has powerful medicinal properties and has strong ties to ancient Ayurvedic medicine. (Related: 5 Easy Ways to Incorporate Ayurveda Into Your Life)
In addition to turmeric, golden milk also contains anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich ground ginger and cinnamon. (More here: 15 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Should Be Eating Regularly) This particular iced golden milk latte is sweetened with a bit of maple syrup, a hint of vanilla extract, and vanilla almond milk. All in all, this drink is a health win with 226 grams of potassium, 10 percent of your recommended vitamin A, nearly half a day's worth of calcium (yes, even when using almond milk), and some iron, too. While you can enjoy this blend as a hot drink, try it over ice as shown here to make it even more refreshing.
Iced Vanilla Golden Milk Latte
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, depending on sweetness preference
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 to 2 handfuls of ice
- Pour almond milk into a mixing glass.
- Add turmeric, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, maple syrup, pepper, and sea salt to glass. Vigorously stir with a spoon or stirrer until everything is well mixed to create golden turmeric milk.
- Place a handful or two of ice into a drinking glass. Pour golden milk mixture into the glass, and sprinkle additional cinnamon on top if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts: 66 calories, 3g fat, 9g carbs, 1g fiber, 7g sugar, 1g protein