Yes, you can have smoothies on the keto diet! Start with this low-carb recipe.
Photo: Nicole Crane
Following a keto diet but craving a creamy fruit smoothie? We've got just the recipe. While many smoothies are high in carbs, this recipe is keto-compliant because it features only a small amount of frozen strawberries. We amped up the smoothie's fat content by including a serving of cashew butter. And we sprinkled in some hemp hearts, which are low in carbs and full of omega-3 s and essential amino acids. (See also: The Best Nut Butter to Have on the Keto Diet)
Feel free to customize this keto smoothie to your preferences: If you want to increase the protein, add a scoop of your favorite keto-approved protein powder or some full-fat Greek yogurt. We kept this smoothie dairy-free by using cashew milk, but any type of milk will do.
Keto Strawberry Cashew Hemp Smoothie
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk (or coconut, almond, hazelnut milk, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons natural cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon monk fruit (or your favorite keto-approved sweetener), optional
- A large handful of ice
- In a high-powered blender, combine all of the ingredients. Option to include 1 tablespoon of cashew butter in the smoothie, then drizzle the other tablespoon on top at the end as pictured.
- Blend until the consistency is mostly smooth. Pour into a cup and enjoy.
Nutrition facts: 350 calories, 27g fat, 13g net carbs, 5g sugar, 12g protein