Move over margaritas and frosé. The mangonada is just as delicious but much healthier.
A mangonada is the fruit-forward drink you want to be sipping on this summer. This frozen tropical slushie is a refreshing staple in Mexican food culture, and now it's slowly starting to gain traction in the U.S. (Check out these other frozen alcoholic slushies to really help you chill out this summer.)
The recipe is simple: fresh mango, lime juice, ice, and chamoy sauce, which is made from salted, pickled fruit like apricots, plums, or mangos and spiced with dried chilies. Make it adult-friendly by topping it off with your favorite spirit: vodka, rum, or tequila would work nicely. Mangonadas are deliciously sweet and sour with a little kick. Packed with fresh mango, this drink is basically superfruit in a glass. Mangoes are bursting with antioxidants and more than 20 different vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A and C, folate, fiber, vitamin B 6, and copper.
On the next warm summer night, whip up some mangonadas and reap the benefits of mango. (P.S. Have you heard of mango butter?!)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mango chunks, divided
- 1 cup ice (about 6 ice cubes)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chamoy
- 1 1/2 ounces spirit of choice (optional)
Optional garnish for rim
- 1 teaspoon flaky salt
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
For the chamoy
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 dried ancho chili pepper, seeds and stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To make the chamoy: Soak dried chili in hot water for 30 to 60 minutes. In high-speed blender, blend apricot jam, lime juice, chili, and salt until combined and smooth.
- Place 1 cup of fresh mango in freezer for at least 3 to 4 hours, or until frozen. Reserve 1/2 cup of fresh mango chunks.
- In high-speed blender, blend frozen mango, ice, lime juice, and chamoy until smooth.
- If garnishing the rim, mix salt, lime zest, and chili powder on a small plate until combined. Squeeze lime around rim of glass and dip rim into chili-lime salt until covered. Squeeze lime juice and spoon chamoy up sides of glass to create a fun swirl.
- Pour mango mixture into the glass. Top with fresh mango, a drizzle of chamoy, and extra chili powder.