This Tequila Beet Juice Cocktail Is Your New Healthy Happy Hour Drink
Going from cycling class to cocktails is more common than you might think; numerous studies show that women who love to sweat also love to sip. (Here's more on the link between drinking and exercise.) But just because it's common doesn't mean it's great for your body. Research shows that boozing post-workout can impair your muscles' ability to repair and rebuild themselves, and if you don't re-hydrate with water first, can get you tipsy, fast.
That's where this cocktail-a spicy-sweet concoction created by Bart Cannizzaro of Byblos Miami-comes in. Yeah, it's made with tequila, but it also contains fresh beet juice, which studies suggest might have some serious workout benefits, like increasing cardio endurance and ability to handle high-intensity exercise. (And, you know what? Tequila might have some health benefits of its own too.)
If you're still not convinced to give a beet cocktail a try, consider this: that one-of-a-kind color will look amaze on your Instagram feed. Just remember to hydrate (especially after an intense workout!).
The Ottoman Cartel
- 1 oz. spiced barberry syrup (see ingredients below)
- 1 oz. Lime Juice
- 2 oz. Tequila Avión silver
- 3 oz. beet soda (see beet soda ingredients below)
- A lime wheel (for garnish)
- Marigold Flowers (for garnish)
Ingredients for beet soda
- 500 mL of beet juice
- 250 mL of club soda
Ingredients for spiced barberry syrup
- 1/2 pint barberries
- 4 dried ancho chilies
- 15 chile de arbol
- 1200g water
- 1500g sugar
- A dash of salt
- To make the beet soda: combine two parts fresh beet juice (use a juicer on large red beets or whip up this no-juicer beet juice) with one part soda water in a soda siphon and carbonate.
- To make the spiced barberry syrup: combine all ingredients except sugar in a large pot, and gently simmer for 30 minutes. Slowly add sugar while stirring. Let cool and strain.
- To make the cocktail: combine the barberry syrup, lime, and Tequila Avión silver in a shaker. Shake and then add beet soda to the tin. Strain into a Collins glass with regular ice. Top with crushed ice and garnish with a lime wheel and marigold flowers.