This Brilliant Apple–Peanut Butter Snack Idea Is About to Make Your Afternoon
Enjoy this apple recipe next time those 3:00 p.m. cravings strike.
Packed with filling fiber and a great source of immune-boosting vitamin C, apples are a bona fide fall superfood. Crisp and refreshing on their own or cooked into a tasty sweet or savory dish, there are so many varieties to choose from and so many ways to enjoy them, it's hard to go wrong (see these healthy apple recipes for proof).
Still, it's easy to get stuck in a snack rut if you rely on the same apple–peanut butter combo day after day. Mix it up with this protein-and-fiber-rich snack that combines your favorite superfoods into one dish. It also works great as a simple-but-good breakfast that will brighten even the dullest weekday morning.
- 1 medium apple
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sunflower seed, peanut, or nut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Toppings: chia seeds, hemp hearts, cacao nibs
- Core apple and slice across the wide way into slices.
- Mix together yogurt, nut butter, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Spread yogurt mixture evenly over top of each apple slice.
- Sprinkle toppings over each slice.
Nutrition info for 1 apple with yogurt mixture, 2 teaspoons chia seeds and 1 teaspoon cacao nibs (via USDA Supertracker):
216 calories, 9g protein, 30g total carbohydrate, 7g dietary fiber, 19g total sugar (2g added sugar), 8g fat (2g saturated), 24mg sodium, 6mg cholesterol