Ayesha Curry Shares the Perfect Pre-Game Pasta Recipe
The celeb chef shares the pasta recipe that fuels her husband Stephen Curry before a big game.
Carbo-loading before a marathon or big game? We have the pasta recipe you've been looking for, courtesy of cookbook author, restaurateur, and Food Network star Ayesha Curry.
The recipe features a generous serving of spaghetti to help you fill your tank, and the hearty sauce is filled with antioxidant-rich vegetables, like tomatoes, eggplants, and spinach. You know it's legit because Curry makes the dish for her basketball star husband, Stephen Curry, before a game. The dish even inspired Curry to create her namesake cookware line found at Target (we love the porcelain enamel nonstick pans, which start at $20 on target.com and move seamlessly between the stove and the oven). (More: Healthy Pasta Recipes That Go Way Beyond Spaghetti and Meatballs)
Game Day Pasta
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 globe eggplant, cut into cubes (about 6 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed with a spoon or your hands, including liquid
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 pound spaghetti or penne
- 2 packed cups spinach leaves
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 or 2 lemon wedges
Adapted with permission from The Seasoned Life by Ayesha Curry (Little, Brown and Company 2016).