This Sweet and Spiced Chai Mousse Recipe Is Made with a Secret Veggie Ingredient
Because secret veggies are the best veggies.
Only one American adult in 10 gets enough fruits and veggies each day. It's basically a first-world country malnourishment epidemic.
True, meal planning isn't easy-but there is an easy enough way to add a serving or two of veggies to your day. Sneak them into other foods that are normally produce-less. (Case in point: All these dessert recipes with veggies inside.)
Get in the fall spirit by whipping up this dairy- and gluten-free masala chai spiced mousse recipe made with cashews, coconut, and-wait for it-cauliflower. (ICYMI, cauliflower is so easy to hide in other recipes, it's basically the ninja of vegetables.) Serve this mousse for a hearty breakfast, healthy dessert, or sweet-and-spicy snack that comes with a heaping serving of veg and healthy fats. Genius right? The recipe was crafted by Serafina Alonso, the executive chef for Provenance Meals, an organic, gluten- and dairy-free meal delivery service in New York City.
Meal-prep a big batch at once, and you have a delicious and festive autumn breakfast to wake up to every morning. (Bonus: Sip one of these spicy fall teas better than a PSL to reach peak ~fall vibes~.)
Masala Chai Spiced Mousse
Makes: 3 servings
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons (or 3 bags) Masala chai tea
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 cup coconut meat, chopped
- 2 cups (about 6 oz) cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Bring water to a boil. Add chai and steep for 5 minutes. Strain and discard tea leaves.
- Once tea has cooled, combine with 1 cup of cashews and let mixture soak for 4 hours (or overnight). Then strain cashews, reserving tea concentrate. Set aside.
- Combine soaked cashews, coconut, cauliflower, honey, vanilla, and sea salt in a blender with 3 tablespoons of the masala chai concentrate. Blend on high, slowly adding additional tea if needed until mixture is completely smooth.
- Allow to cool in fridge for an hour before serving. Top with toasted nuts, bee pollen, or your favorite fruit, sliced fresh or roasted.