Colorful Recipes to Add to Your Diet (And Instagram) Right Now
Why Go Rainbow?
A multicolored meal makes for more than an amazing photo in your feed. When those vivid tones come from veggies, fruit, herbs, spices, and seeds, it's a fun, eye-catching way to get all kinds of nutrients. (P.S. eating the rainbow can help boost your weight loss too.) Here, chefs bring the digitally driven trend to three healthy dishes. (Get more healthy eats on your Insta by following these amazing healthy food porn accounts.)
Vegan Tecnicolor Pizza
Spread cilantro pesto (or your favorite variety) on whole wheat pita or flatbread, then arrange even rows of sliced red peppers, orange peppers, mango, and red onion on top, leaving a strip of green pesto in the middle. Drizzle with olive oil and bake on an oiled baking sheet at 300° for 15 minutes or until pita is slightly golden and vegetables have softened. (By the way, this isn't the only way to make healthy pizza.)
—Created by Matt Holloway and Michelle Davis, authors of Thug Kitchen 101
Cut red beets, purple potatoes, red onions, tomatillos, zucchini, new potatoes, yellow squash, golden beets, sweet potatoes, and tomatoes into 1⁄4-inch slices. Cover the bottom of a round skillet with 1 1/2 cups store-bought marinara sauce. Starting from the outer edge, arrange sliced veggies by color until you reach the center of the skillet. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Garnish with basil and feta.
—Created by chef Nikki Dinki, author of Meat on the Side
To make plain hummus, blend 1 can drained chickpeas, 1 juiced lemon, 1 tablespoon tahini, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and 1/2 cup olive oil in a food processor or a blender until creamy and smooth. (See also: 13 Creative Hummus Recipes) To get the different colors, make these swaps:
- Purple: Swap in black beans for chickpeas. Add 2 garlic cloves and 3 small jalapeños. Garnish with sliced jalapeños.
- Green: Add 2 garlic cloves and 1 cup cooked peas. Garnish with chopped mint if desired.
- Yellow: Add 2 garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon turmeric, and 1 head roasted cauliflower.
- Orange: Swap in white beans for chickpeas. Add 1 1/2 cups roasted pumpkin seeds, 3 garlic cloves, and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika. Garnish with more pumpkin seeds.
- Red: Add 2 roasted beets, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, and 1 garlic clove.
—Created by Elizabeth Stein, CEO and founder of Purely Elizabeth