Moroccan Chicken with Green Olives, Chickpeas, & Kale
This healthy comfort food recipe will keep you cozy all winter long.
This hearty dish is the perfect meal to warm you up on those cold nights when you have ZERO plans to leave the house. You're going to love the unexpected, delicious Moroccan flavors of harissa, cumin, turmeric, paprika, garlic, onion, tomato, and lemon juice. But the real win is the healthy, nutrient-rich ingredients that will fill you up and leave you feeling pretty darn good (even during cold season). This dish has protein-packed chicken, monounsaturated fat–rich green olives, fiber-loaded chickpeas, and a major dose of micronutrients from all that kale, proving that healthy comfort food is totally possible. (For the Whole30 eaters out there, you'll love these paleo-friendly comfort food dinners.)
BTW, the best thing about this dish is that it's pressure-cooked in an Instant Pot, so you'll be inspired by how fast you can make an incredible meal. I like to serve it on a bed of sautéed kale, but if you're looking for something heartier, it also pairs well with quinoa.
Moroccan Chicken with Green Olives, Chickpeas & Kale
- 8 oz organic chicken broth (homemade or sodium-free boxed)
- 1 teaspoon organic harissa seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Himalayan pink salt and ground, black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale, stemmed and chopped
- 4 organic bone-out chicken thighs, with skin removed
- 13.5-oz can organic chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Add chicken broth, harissa, cumin, turmeric, paprika, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to Vitamix or other high-speed blender and blend to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Set harissa liquid aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in Instant Pot on "Sauté" mode. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until vegetables are tender and lightly golden.
- Add kale to onions and garlic, and sauté until just wilted. Remove all from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add 1 additional tablespoon of olive oil and chicken thighs to Instant Pot, and sauté until lightly golden. Press "Cancel" on Instant Pot.
- Add chicken broth-harissa liquid, chickpeas, olives, tomatoes, and kale-onion-garlic mixture to chicken. Press "Manual" on Instant Pot and adjust time to 15 minutes. Press "Pressure" on Instant Pot and set to "High Pressure."
- Cook for 15 minutes, turn off heat, release lid, and adjust salt to taste. Serve and enjoy!