Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Healthier and easier than pumpkin pie!
Pumpkin pie may be a Thanksgiving staple, but at 316 calories per slice, it may be more calories than you care to add to your holiday feast. This vegan bread pudding recipe, however, is both a cinch to make (its preparation barely requires anything more than throwing all the ingredients in a bowl) and low calorie. While the ingredients I used weren't explicitly animal-product-free, you can easily make this recipe vegan by choosing bread, maple syrup, and sugar that's not processed using animal products. Adapted from Food.com.
8 slices whole wheat bread (day-old is best)
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Powdered sugar (optional)
- Cube bread and spread on baking sheet. Toast for 7-8 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven. If you're using day-old bread, just cube the bread and move on to the next step.
- Combine almond milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and pumpkin puree in mixing bowl, beat to combine.
- Add raisins and mix to combine. Add cubed whole wheat bread and gently mix until bread cubes are covered with mixture.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes for mixture to soak bread.
- Gently pour mixture into an 8x8 baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until brown on top and knife comes out clean.
- Dust with powdered sugar to serve.
Serves 6-8. I liked it on its own, but it would also be amazing served warm next to a scoop of vanilla soy or coconut milk ice cream.
More From FitSugar: