This Healthy Coconut Macaroons Recipe Is So Low-Cal You Can Eat Them All
One for me, two for me, three for me...
From your morning snack to the afternoon munchies to dessert time, sometimes you just need a little something sweet-that's where these tasty little coconut macaroons come in. The recipe is courtesy of Devin Alexander, celebrity chef and weight-loss coach and nutrition guide behind NBC's The Biggest Loser.
"They're a bit less gooey and buttery than the traditional ones, but that's actually good because it allows true coconut lovers to enjoy the coconut," says Alexander. (Plus, you get all these coconut health benefits.) A typical macaroon this size would log about 120 calories and 4 to 6 grams of fat each. These babies are a steal at only 86 calories and 3 grams of fat-for two of them! Meaning, yes, you can totally go ahead and eat them all. We won't tell. (Next, check out these 10 recipes that use coconut in creative ways.)
Coconut Macaroons Recipe
Makes 5 servings.
Butter-flavored cooking spray
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 tablespoons light agave nectar
2/3 cup finely shredded, reduced-fat, unsweetened coconut
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly mist it with spray.
2. Whisk together the egg whites, coconut sugar, and agave until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the coconut until well combined.
3. Spoon the batter in mounds (about 1 level tablespoon per macaroon) onto the prepared pan, so they don't touch, to make 10 macaroons.
4. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until macaroons are lightly golden brown.
5. Remove the pan and place on a wire cooling rack. Let cool about 5 minutes, then transfer macaroons to the cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Serve immediately or store them in a resealable plastic container for up to 5 days.
Nutrition per 2 cookies: 86 calories, 2g protein, 13g carbohydrates (10g sugar), 3g fat, 3g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1g fiber, 33mg sodium
Recipe credit: Reprinted from The Biggest Loser Dessert Cookbook by Devin Alexander © 2010 by Universal Studios Licensing LLLP. The Biggest Loser (TM) and NBC Studios, Inc., and Reveille LLC. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold. www.devinalexander.com