Two Deliciously Healthy Greek Dips You Can Make This Weekend
Show off your kitchen skills with these chef-created recipes that will please a crowd.
Super Bowl Sunday is just around the corner-as in, it's this Sunday, so you better hurry up and figure out what to make. And while you can't do much about all the scarily unhealthy fried food, cheese dips, and hot dogs that are going to be calling out to you from the table, you can bring your own healthier eats to balance things out a bit.
Lost for ideas? Chef Ralph Scamardella of Avra Madison in New York City put together these delicious dips that are surprisingly easy to make and that can be paired with just about anything-crudités, pitas, toasted bread, or crackers. Use the leftover tzatziki for these Greek Turkey Meatball Gyros. The fava dip makes a perfect spreadable condiment for sandwiches and wraps. (Hummus is also a solid choice for a yummy and good-for-you snack on game day or any day. Check out these 13 ways you can spice it up.)
Greek Yogurt Tzatziki Dip
8 oz Fage Greek yogurt
2 seeded cucumbers
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped
salt and white pepper to taste
- Shred cucumber with box grater and strain well to release excess water.
- Mix EVOO, garlic, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir in cucumber, oil and vinegar mixture, and chopped dill into yogurt.
- Season with salt and white pepper, and garnish with fresh dill sprig.
Greek "Fava" Yellow Split Pea Dip
18 oz dried yellow split peas
3 red onions, diced
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
juice from 2 lemons
2 tablespoons finely diced shallot, plus more for garnish
- Add peas and red onion to pot with water so that there is about 3 or 4 inches of water covering peas.
- Boil until peas are very soft but not falling apart.
- Using a hand blender, purée pea mixture until smooth. Set aside in the refrigerator to chill.
- Whisk EVOO, salt and pepper, lemon, and shallot together in small bowl.
- Mix blended peas and wet mixture together until smooth.
- Garnish with more diced shallot.